UNEP OzonAction logo
|Head of Branch||Shamila Nair-Bedouelle|
|Parent organization||United Nations|
OzonAction is a branch of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) which has its main office in Paris, and is part of UNEP's Division of Technology, Industry and Economics (DTIE). Created in 1991, today it has staff located in five regional offices of UNEP, - namely in Africa (Nariobi, Kenya), Asia & the Pacific (Bangkok, Thailand), Latin America and the Caribbean (Panama City, Panama), and West Asia (Manama, Bahrain).
Rajendra Shende, the Head of Branch since 1992, retired on 31 July 2011. Jim Curlin acted as Interim Head of Branch from 1 August 2011 until 17 December 2012. Shamila Nair-Bedouelle, the current Head of Branch officially took up her position on 18 December 2012.
UNEP OzonAction assists developing countries and countries with economies in transition (CEITs) to achieve and sustain their compliance with the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer, and make informed decisions on alternative technologies and ozone-friendly policies.
UNEP OzonAction has implemented over 1,000 projects and services that have benefited more than 100 developing countries. It has also assisted 17 CEITs and provided further services that have served another 40 countries.
In order to help developing countries comply with the Montreal Protocol, the Multilateral Fund for the Implementation of the Montreal Protocol was set up. The Fund's "main objective is to assist developing country parties to the Montreal Protocol whose annual per capita consumption and production of ozone-depleting substances is less than 0.3 kg to comply with the control measures of the Protocol".
UNEP’s OzonAction branch is one of the Fund’s implementing agencies, along with others, such as UNIDO, UNDP and the World Bank.
- http://www.unep.org/ozonaction/AboutTheBranch/StaffContacts/Paris/tabid/6191/Default.aspx UNEP staff
- staff (2005-05-04). "United Nations Ozone Action Program Wins U.S. Government Prize". Ens-newswire.com. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "The Ozone Hole Inc". Theozonehole.com. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- Global Environment Facility
- "EPA | 2005 Stratospheric Ozone Protection Awards". Epa.gov. 2006-06-28. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "Sweden and UNEP Team Up to Help Developing Countries Phase Out of Ozone-Depleting HCFCS". Solutions-site.org. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "Multilateral Fund". Multilateralfund.virtual.vps-host.net. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development: Multilateral Fund for the Implementation of the Montreal Protocol". Bmz.de. Retrieved 2011-07-24.