||This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014)
The pharmaceutical industry in Pakistan has grown up during the last few decades. At the time of independence in 1947, there was hardly any pharma industry in the country. Today Pakistan has about 400 pharmaceutical manufacturing units including those operated by 25 multinationals present in the country. The Pakistan Pharmaceutical Industry meets around 70% of the country's demand of Finished Medicine. The domestic pharma market, in terms of market share, is almost evenly divided between the Nationals and the Multinationals.
The National pharma industry has shown a progressive growth over the years, particularly over the last one decade. The industry has invested substantially to upgrade itself in the last few years and today the majority industry is following Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), in accordance with the domestic as well as international Guidance. Currently the industry has the capacity to manufacture a variety of product ranging from simple pills to sophisticated Biotech, Oncology and Value Added Generic compounds.
The Pakistan pharma industry is relatively young in the international markets with an export turnover of over US$100 Million as of 2007. Pakistan Pharma Industry boasts of quality producers and many units are approved by regulatory authorities all over the world. Like domestic market the sales in international market have gone almost double during last five years. The pharma industry is focusing to an Export Vision of USD 800 Million by 2014. In the meantime, exports are also likely to be boosted by new regional and global opportunities.
The value of pharmaceuticals sold nationwide exceeded US$1.4 B in 2007 and US$2.3 B in 2012. The value of medicines sold is expected to exceed US$3.2 B by 2014. As of 2013, the total export value of Pakistani-manufactured medicines around the world stood at $500 million. Many different companies sell a diverse range of drugs and pharmaceutical products.
Top 10 growth wise pharmaceutical companies in Pakistan
- Wilshire Labs.
- Barret Hodgson Pakistan, Karachi
- Macter International Limited
- Getz pharma
- Scotmann Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Ltd
- English Pharmaceutical Industries Lahore.
- Remington Pharmaceuticals
Today, the pharmaceutical sector is one of the most developed hi-tech sectors within the country's economy. New pharmacy schools have been set up nationwide in the past few years which provide and cater to quality pharmacy education to students of pharmacy. Within the province of Punjab, the Punjab Pharmacy Council (based in Lahore) is a government department responsible for conducting examination and tests.
The Pakistan Pharmacists Society is the national professional organisation of pharmacists country-wide and also acts as a regulatory authority controlling pharmacy practice in Pakistan. Pharmaceutical authorities in Pakistan are part of the International Pharmaceutical Federation.
Many pharmaceutical industries are operating in Karachi, Lahore, Faisalabad, Rawalpindi, Peshawar & other main industrial hubs of Pakistan, which includes:
- Scotmann Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Ltd., Islamabad
- Chas.A.Mendoza, Karachi
- Adamjee Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Limited, Karachi
- Akhai Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Limited, Lasbela
- Akson Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Limited, Mirpur
- Albro Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Limited, Lahore
- Alina Combine Pharmaceuticals, Karachi
- Alkemy Pharmaceuticals Laboratories (Pvt) Limited, Karachi
- Alliance Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Limited, Peshawar
- Allied Medical Supplies, Karachi
- Alpha Chemicals (Pvt) Limited, Lahore
- Ambrosia Pharmaceuticals, Rawalpindi
- Ameer Pharma (Pvt) Ltd., Lahore
- Amson Vaccines & Pharma, Rawalpindi]
- Ankaz Pharmex (Pvt) Ltd., Karachi
- Aries Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Ltd., Peshawar
- Asian Continental (Pvt) Limited, Karachi
- Askari Pharmaceuticals, Lahore
- ATCO Laboratories Ltd., Karachi
- Axis Pharmaceutical, Faisalabad
- Barret Hodgson Pakistan, Karachi
- Batala Pharmaceuticals, Gujranwala
- Bio Fine Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Limited, Multan
- Bio Pharma,Multan,Pakistan
- BioGen Pharma, Rawalpindi
- Bosch Pharmaceuticals, Karachi
- Breeze Pharma (Pvt) Ltd., Islamabad
- Brooks Pharmaceutical Laboratories Pakistan, Karachi
- Bryon Pharmaceuticals, Peshawar
- C C L Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Limited, Lahore
- Caraway Pharmaceuticals, Rawalpindi
- CIRIN Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Limited, Rawalpindi
- Max Pharmaceuticals, Islamabad
- Curatech Pharma (Pvt) Ltd., Lahore
- Danas Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Ltd., Islamabad
- Delux Chemical Industries, Karachi
- Standpharm (Pvt) Ltd, Lahore
- Shaigan Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Ltd, Rawalpindi
- Shaf Pharma Lahore Pakistan
- Stallion Pharmaceuticals PVT LTD Dedicated Penicillin Manufacturer
- Wellborne Pharmachem & biologicals, Hattar Industrial Estates
- Xenon Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Ltd, Lahore
Notes and referencesEditLast modified on 9 April 2014, at 08:32