The first netbook in Lenovo’s IdeaPad S Series was launched in October 2008. The IdeaPad S10 was scheduled for launch in September but was delayed, with an estimated release date indicated as November 2008. Ultimately, the netbook was released in September in China, but in October in the United States.
The IdeaPad S Series netbook released in 2011 was the S205.
The S205 was released in April 2011, by Lenovo. The netbook had an AMD Fusion E350 dual core processor, and 11.6 inch widescreen display with a 16:9 aspect ratio, and ATI Mobility Radeon 6310M graphics. The specifications of the S205 are as follows:
- Processor: Up to 1.60 GHz AMD Dual-Core Processor E-350
- RAM: Up to 4GB DDR3 1066 MHz
- Graphics: Up to AMD Radeon HD 6310M (512MB video RAM)
- Dimensions (mm): 290 x 18~26.3 x 193
- Weight: starting at 1.35 kg
Not supported in Linux
The IdeaPad netbooks released in 2010 were the S10-3, S10-3t, and S10-3s.
Released in 2010, the IdeaPad S10-3 netbook was praised for its full-size keyboard, design, light chassis despite the 6-cell battery, and low price. The negative points listed were the navigation experience, the low capacity hard drive, and the lack of options for customization. LAPTOP Magazine indicated in its review that Lenovo had addressed some of the issues raised about the S10-2 netbook. The reviewer praised the keyboard and the design. The reviewer also indicated that the storage capacity was not on part with competitor offerings and that the touchpad could have been improved.
Also released in 2010, the IdeaPad S10-3t was a netbook that was also a convertible tablet. The S10-3t netbook was among the first to use the 1.83 GHz Intel Atom N470 processor. The software BumpTop was preloaded, offering a desk-like view of the desktop in 3D for ease of use. LAPTOP Magazine appreciated the touch experience and the Chiclet-style keyboard, while indicating that the processing speed could have been better.
Released early in 2010, the IdeaPad S10-3s was a roughly an inch narrower than the S10-2, with a form factor of 10.6 x 6.6 x 1.4 inches. The netbook was also a little lighter than similar netbooks, weighing 2.6 lbs. The netbook offered the following specifications:
The IdeaPad S Series netbooks released by Lenovo in 2009 were the S10e, S10-2, and the S12.
The IdeaPad S10e was a re-launch of the IdeaPad S10, with features updated for the education market. Launched in 2009, the netbook included a quick start operating system and 5 hours of battery life with a low starting price. The netbook weighed 2.8 lbs, with a form factor of 9.8 x 7.7 x 0.9–1.4-inches. The netbook offered a wide keyboard occupying almost the entire width of the chassis, and LAPTOP Magazine reported that it was easy for even adults to type on.
The IdeaPad S10-2 was a 10-inch netbook with a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor, 1GB RAM, a 6-cell battery, and Intel GMA Integrated Graphics. The design of the netbook was reported by Notebook Review to offer “a cleaner and smoother appearance all around”. The specifications of the netbook are as follows:
- Processor: Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz
- RAM: 1GB DDR2 (PC2-5300 SDRAM, 667 MHz)
- Operating system: Windows XP Home Edition (SP3)
- Display: 10.1-inch (WSVGA, Glossy, LED-backlit, 1024x600)
- Storage: 160GB 5400rpm
- Graphics: Intel GMA 950 Integrated Graphics
- Wi-Fi: Broadcom 11b/g Wi-Fi wireless
- Card reader: 4-in-1
- Dimensions (inches): 10.2 x 7.6 x 0.7-1.8
Released in 2009, the IdeaPad S12 received a fairly positive review from PCMagazine. The features of the netbook that were well-received included the 12 inch widescreen with a 1280 x 800 resolution, keyboard, express card slot, and battery life. However, the netbook’s price and weight were indicated as negative points by the reviewers. For the ergonomic design, battery life, instant-start operating system, and speakers the S12 netbook was LAPTOP Magazine Editor’s Choice. Detailed specifications of the netbook are as follows:
The first laptop in the IdeaPad S Series of netbook was released in 2008. This was the IdeaPad S10.
- Jerry Jackson (1 October 2008). "Lenovo IdeaPad S10 Review". Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "IdeaPad S10 Release Delayed". 11 September 2008. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "LENOVO IDEAPAD S10 PRICE AND RELEASE DATE". 19 August 2008. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Lenovo IdeaPad S205 Review". 30 April 2011. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Netbook Review: Lenovo IdeaPad S205 Specifications". 1 May 2011. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Lenovo IdeaPad S205 Datasheet". Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Cheng, Cisco (3 March 2010). "Lenovo Ideapad S10-3". PC Magazine. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Michael A. Prospero (19 February 2011). "Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3 Review". Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Joanna Stern (10 March 2010). "Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3t review". Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Mark Spoonauer (1 March 2010). "Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3t Review". Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Michael A. Prospero (19 February 2010). "Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3 Review". Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3 Specs". Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Dana Wollman (4 February 2009). "Lenovo IdeaPad S10e Review". Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Kevin o'Brien (13 July 2009). "Lenovo IdeaPad S10-2 Review". Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Cheng, Cisco (15 July 2009). "Lenovo IdeaPad S12". PC Magazine. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Michael A. Prospero (14 July 2009). "Lenovo IdeaPad S12 Review". Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Lenovo IdeaPad S12 Specs". 14 July 2009. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Paul Miller (4 August 2008). "Lenovo goes netbook with IdeaPad S10". Retrieved 8 September 2011.