Foreign relations of the Republic of Kosovo
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (November 2010)|
|This article is part of the series:
Politics and government of
On 17 February 2008, members of the Assembly of Kosovo, acting in individual capacity and not as part of UNMIK's PISG, declared independence from Serbia. This move was controversial among the international community. The Republic of Kosovo has been recognised by 101 UN member states, the Republic of China (Taiwan) and the Order of Malta.
Additionally some countries that don't recognise the Republic of Kosovo (PR China, Russia, Romania, Slovakia, Greece), and the European Union, maintain non-diplomatic official "liaison offices" in Kosovo.
Kosovo maintains a number of diplomatic missions abroad and several countries have embassies or representative offices in Pristina.
Status of diplomatic relations
Kosovo has established diplomatic relations with 59 countries:
The MFA of Kosovo has initiated the process of establishing diplomatic relations with all states that have recognized Republic of Kosovo, either by opening new missions or through accreditation of non-resident ambassadors to these countries.
Membership in international organisations
Names used to represent Kosovo
The Pristina Government is represented under the name:
depending on the particular international forum. A list is set out above. The name "Republic of Kosovo" is self-explanatory and is the preferred nomenclature of the Pristina Government. The name UNMIK is an acronmym for the United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo, a formal United Nations designation. The name "Kosovo*" with an asterisk is used in other fora. Where this name is used, the asterisk is linked to a footnote which reads:
This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSC 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
This "Kosovo*" designation was the outcome of an arrangement agreed to between Pristina and Belgrade in talks mediated by the European Union. This arrangement, which has been dubbed the "asterisk agreement" was agreed in an 11-point arrangement agreed on 24 February 2013.
International treaties and conventions
|International treaty or convention||Political Entity Represented||Signature||Ratification|
|Free Trade Agreement with Albania||UNMIK||7 July 2003||1 October 2003|
|Free Trade Agreement with Macedonia||UNMIK||2 February 2006|
|Free Trade Agreement with Croatia||UNMIK||28 September 2006||1 November 2006|
|Free Trade Agreement with Bosnia and Herzegovina||UNMIK||19 October 2006||1 December 2006|
|EU Pan-EURO-MED RoO convention||Kosovo under UNSCR 1244|
- "Presidentja Jahjaga priti ambasadorin e Afganistanit, Siaullah Mahmud". Zyra e Presidentit të Kosovës. 2013-06-17.
- "Statement of Prime Minister of Albania Mr. Sali Berisha on Recognition of Independence of Kosova". Republic of Albania Council of Ministers. 2008-02-18.
- "Perfaqësite Diplomatike Shqiptare Jashtë Vendit". Mfa.gov.al. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Ministria e Punëve të Jashtme". Ks-gov.net. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Kosova and Andorra establish diplomatic relations". MFA of Kosovo. 2011-09-14. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- Flamuri i Kosovës shpaloset në Canberra, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo, 2013-02-15 (in Albanian)
- "Australia Recognises the Republic of Kosovo". Australia Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. 2008-02-19. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "Kosovo Country Brief". Australian Government – Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. 2008-10-03. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- byElena Koinova (2010-02-26). "Kosovo prepares to open embassies in Washington, Brussels - Bulgaria abroad". The Sofia Echo. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- Republika e Kosovës dhe Republika e Burkina Faso nënshkruan Protokollin për vendosje të marrëdhënieve diplomatike, Embassy of Republic of Kosovo in Paris, 2012-12-06 (in Albanian)
- "Croatia establishes embassy to Kosovo, seated in Pristina". Mvpei.hr. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Agjencia e Pavarur e Lajmeve- Kosova Press - LATEST NEWS". Kosova Press. 2008-07-16. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Danmarks forbindelser med Kosovo - Danmarks ambassade Østrig". Ambwien.um.dk. Retrieved 2010-04-28.[dead link]
- "Republika e Kosovës dhe Republika e Xhibutit vendosin marrëdhëniet diplomatike". mfa-ks.net. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- Kosova vendos marrëdhëniet diplomatike me Dominikën, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo, 2012-12-12 (in Albanian)
- "Estonia Enters into Diplomatic Relations with Republic of Kosovo | Välisministeerium". Vm.ee. 2008-04-24. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- The Republic of Kosovo establishes diplomatic relations with the Republic of Fiji, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo, 2013-02-13
- [dead link]
- The Republic of Kosovo establishes diplomatic relations with the Republic of Ghana, Embassy of the Republic of Kosovo in the United States, Washington, DC, 2012-10-02
- "Italy appoints Ambassador to Kosovo". New Kosova Report. 2008-05-15. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Japan and Kosovo strengthen diplomatic ties". New Kosova Report. 2009-06-23. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- Japan-Kosovo Relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
- Ambasadori Spahiu i dorëzoi letrat kredenciale te Mbreti i Jordanisë, , Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo, 2013-06-105
- Kosovo establishes diplomatic relations with Kuwait, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo, 2013-01-16
- "Latvia establishes diplomatic relations with Kosovo". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Latvia. Retrieved 2008-07-11.
- Kosova and Liechtenstein to establish diplomatic relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo, 2012-06-28
- Naim Malaj, ambasador jo rezident në Principatën e Lihtenshtajnit, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo, 2012-12-13 (in Albanian)
- "Lietuvos Respublikos užsienio reikalų ministerija - straipsniai:LITHUANIA ESTABLISHES DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS WITH THE REPUBLIC OF KOSOVO". Urm.lt. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Ilir Dugolli, non-resident Ambassador in Luxemburg". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo. 2011-06-16. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- "Kosovo and FYR of Macedonia establish diplomatic relations". New Kosova Report. 2009-10-18. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Republika e Kosovës vendos marrëdhënie diplomatike me Malajzinë". Kosovo MFA. Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- THE ESTABLISHMENT OF FORMAL DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS BETWEEN MALAYSIA AND KOSOVO, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia 2011-03-23
- "« Lajme". Telegrafi. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Ministri i Jashtëm Enver Hoxhaj dhe homologu i tij nga Malta, Tonio Borg, kanë nënshkruar marrëveshjen për vendosjen e marrëdhënieve diplomatike mes Republikës së Kosovës dhe Republikës së Maltës."
- "Republika Islamike e Mauritanisë njohu Republikën e Kosovës". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo. 12 January 2010. Retrieved 12 January 2010.
- "Relacione diplomatike me Monakon me anë të Fracnës". President of Kosovo. 2008-03-19. Retrieved 2008-03-19.
- "News - Region - Montenegro, Kosovo in diplomatic ties". B92. 2010-01-15. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- "Republika e Naurusë Njohi Republikën e Kosovës" (in Albanian). President of the Republic of Kosovo. 2008-04-23. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- Republika e Naurusë njohu Republikën e Kosovës, President of the Republic of Kosovo, 2008-04-23 (in Albanian)
- "Ministria e Punëve të Jashtme". Ks-gov.net. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Republika e Kosovës dhe Republika e Nigerit vendosin marrëdhëniet diplomatike" (in Albanian). Ambasada e Republikës së Kosovës në Paris. 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- Republic of Kosovo Established Diplomatic Relations with Sultanate of Oman, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo, 4 February 2011
- Kosova dhe Pakistani vendosin marrëdhënie diplomatike, KosovaTimes, 2013-01-27 (in Albanian)
- Çmohet mbështetja e Portugalisë, Telegrafi, 14 November 2011
- "Qatar recognized the Republic of Kosovo". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo. 2011-01-07. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- Stabilimento delle relazioni diplomatiche con la Repubblica del Kosovo, Grand and General Council, 2012-02-16
- "Kosova-Arabia Saudite me marrëdhënie diplomatike « Lajme". Telegrafi. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Kosovo Diplomatic Missions Abroad" mfa-ks.net Link retrieved 17 April 2011
- "Ambasadori i Emiratave të Bashkuara Arabe i dorëzon kopjen e letrave kredenciale Ministrit Hyseni " mfa-ks.net 27 April 2010 Link retrieved 27 April 2010 (Albanian)
- Republic of Kosovo and Republic of Vanuatu established diplomatic relations, President of the Republic of Kosovo, 2010-09-23
- Formerly the Stability Pact for South Eastern Europe
- Before 28 February 2013 membership was assigned to the UNMIK.
- RCC members
- SECI observers
- Before 2013 only the UNMIK.
- SEETO Participants
- South East Europe Transport Observatory
- Before April 2013 membership was assigned to the UNMIK.
- Energy Community - Parties
- "Central European Free Trade Agreement (CEFTA) initialled" (PDF) (Press release). UNMIK - DSRSG Office for News and Communication. 2006-11-10. Retrieved 2008-04-09.
- IRU membership: Kosova Chamber of Commerce
- Kosovo Chamber of Commerce is a non for profit, independent organization with no political affiliation.
- "IRU welcomes Kosovo to IRU family". IRU. 2008. Retrieved 2010-05-11.
- "Statement on Membership of the Republic of Kosovo in the IMF" (Press release). International Monetary Fund. 2008-07-15. Retrieved 2009-06-29. "On July 10, 2008, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) received an application for admission to membership in the IMF from the Republic of Kosovo."
- "Kosovo Becomes the International Monetary Fund’s 186th Member" (Press release). International Monetary Fund. 2009-06-29. Retrieved 2009-06-29. "The Republic of Kosovo became the 186th member of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) today when President Fatmir Sejdiu and Prime Minister Hashim Thaçi signed the IMF’s original Articles of Agreement at a ceremony in Washington D.C."
- "Kosovo Application for Membership in World Bank" (Press release). World Bank. 2008-07-15. Retrieved 2009-06-29. "In the letter dated July 10, 2008, Kosovo applied for membership in the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the International Development Association, the International Finance Corporation, the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes."
- "Kosovo Joins World Bank Group Institutions" (Press release). World Bank. 2009-06-29. Retrieved 2009-06-29. "The Republic of Kosovo became the newest member of the five World Bank Group institutions today, when Kosovar President Fatmir Sejdiu and Prime Minister Hashim Thaçi signed the Articles of Agreement of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD)."
- Kosovo joins EBRD: "...majority decision to include the Republic of Kosovo as member.", Estonia MFA
- Row heats up over Kosovo EBRD bid, 15/05/2010
- EBRD - Our shareholders
- ECE/TRANS/SC.1/2012/1 - (CoB) Report from the President
- Ministri i FSK-së Agim Ҫeku kërkoi antarsimin në “Karta e Adriatikut”, Ministry for Kosovo Security Force, 2012-03-29 (in Albanian): "KSF Minister Agim Ҫeku sought membership in the "Adriatic Charter" ... presented reasonable and reasoned request for membership of the Republic of Kosovo ... Next Conference of Ministers of Defense is expected to take place in Bosnia and Herzegovina, where it is expected that the Republic of Kosovo is a member with full rights."
- "Kosovo seeks to join international organisations". Turkish Weekly. 2012-07-19. Retrieved 2012-07-19.
- "Arrangements Regarding Regional Representation and Cooperation" (24 February 2012)
- "Albania - UNMIK (Kosovo)" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- Stability Pact for South East Europe - FTA matrix
- Provisional application
- REGIONAL CONVENTION ON PAN-EURO-MEDITERRANEAN PREFERENTIAL RULES OF ORIGIN
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language