The Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection and Sport (DDPS, German: Eidgenössisches Departement für Verteidigung, Bevölkerungsschutz und Sport, French: Département fédéral de la défense, de la protection de la population et des sports, Italian: Dipartimento federale della difesa, della protezione della popolazione e dello sport) is one of the seven departments of the Swiss federal government. It is headed by a member of the Swiss Federal Council, the Swiss defence minister.
The Department is composed of the following departmental sectors:
- Defence / Armed Forces sector: Swiss Armed Forces headquarters and staff, Land Forces, Air Force, Armed Forces Logistics Organisation (AFLO), Armed Forces Command Support Organisation (AFCSO).
- Civil Protection sector: Federal Office for Civil Protection (FOCP), responsible for the coordination of the civil protection services of the cantons and municipalities. Operates the National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC) and the Spiez Laboratory, which is responsible for weapons of mass destruction research and protection.
- Sport sector: Federal Office of Sport (FOSPO), responsible for sport policy, the National Youth Sports Centre Tenero and the Youth and Sport organisation.
- armasuisse sector: Responsible for armaments procurement, technology and research. The sector includes the Federal Office of Topography (swisstopo), which compiles and manages geographical reference data and maps.
The following services are also part of the DDPS:
Name of departmentEdit
- 1848: Military Department
- 1979: Federal Military Department
- Since 1998: Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection and Sport
List of heads of the departmentEdit
Notes and referencesEdit