Agualeguas, Nuevo León
Agualeguas is both a city and a municipality located in the northeastern part of the state of Nuevo León, Mexico, ( ). The name "Agualeguas" honors the first inhabitants of the region, the Gualegua tribe. It was erected as a village on January 7, 1821 by Bro. Diego Velázquez.
The municipality has an area of 917.6 km² and is located 180 meters above the sea level. According to the 2000 census, there are 4,492 inhabitants.
- Raúl Salinas Lozano, former Secretary of Agriculture, Mexican Ambassador to the Soviet Union and father of former president Carlos SalinasPRI (Partido Revolucionario Institucional) was born in Agualeguas.
- Johnny Canales a famous host to a band show "El show de Johnny Canales" parents are from the Agualeguas area, Johnny was born in Robstown, Texas.
- Jaime Canales's ancestors were born in Agualeguas too, Jaime Canales, was born in Dearborn, Michigan in 1967 and is a first generation graduate from the University of Texas at Austin. Jaime Canales won his bid for Webb County Commissioner in the Democratic Primary of 2010. Jaime Canales will be sworn in on January 1, 2011. His sibling Jose Eduvijes Canales placed Agualeguas name on the map in 1980, when he received the National Award of "Premio El Saber" presented to him by Mexican President Jose Lopez-Portillo, for achieving highest G.P.A. in the nation for his Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering, This award is presented once a year. Jose attended the Instituto Tecnologico (TEC) of Monterrey, N.L. Mexico. His sibling Roel Canales is an attorney in Laredo, Texas. His female sibling Brenda Canales-Rea, is also an attorney and attended University of Texas at Austin School of Law. The Canales ancestors have a history in politics in Agualeguas, most recently, Reynaldo Canales (first cousin to Jose Canales Sr.) served as the mayor, from 1986–1992, under the PRI.
- Grupo Liberacion and their recording studio is owned by Virgilio Canales a native of Agualeguas.
- The Saenz family is also from Agualeguas. Fernando Saenz is a US Customs Broker in Laredo Texas. His company handles some of the biggest accounts that significantly impact the economy in Laredo. The youngest female of the Saenz family, Irema, is a leader in the education world and is currently serving as a library media specialist. The eldest of the Saenz family, Irma, is a successful CPA, and began a furniture rental store in the valley with a rumored upcoming IPO in the near future.
Jaime Canales is the Webb County Commissioner-Elect in Laredo, Texas.
Joan Sebastian's first wife, Teresa Gonzalez, mother of Juan Sebastian, Trigo, and Jose Manuel Figueroa, is also from Aguagleguas, N.L.
|This article about a location in the Mexican state of Nuevo León is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|