1976 in film
|List of years in film (table)|
|... 1966 . 1967 . 1968 . 1969 .1970 .1971 .1972 ...
1973 1974 1975 -1976- 1977 1978 1979
... 1980 . 1981 . 1982 . 1983 .1984 .1985 .1986 ...
In home video: 1973 1974 1975 -1976- 1977 1978 1979
In television: 1973 1974 1975 -1976- 1977 1978 1979
|Art .Archaeology .Architecture .Literature .Music .Philosophy .Science +...|
|Years in film|
The year 1976 in film involved some significant events.
- March 22 - Filming begins on George Lucas' Star Wars science fiction film. In one of the best business decisions in film history, Lucas cuts his directing fee by $500,000 to gain ownership of merchandising and sequel rights.
- April 1 - The Rocky Horror Picture Show is officially re-released as a midnight movie at the Waverly Theater (Now the IFC Center) in Greenwich Village in New York City, starting through the run and still being shown in there as of 2013[update] all around the world.
Top grossing films (U.S.)
- Best Picture: Rocky - Chartoff-Winkler, United Artists
- Best Director: John G. Avildsen - Rocky
- Best Actor: Peter Finch - Network (first actor to win posthumously)
- Best Actress: Faye Dunaway - Network
- Best Supporting Actor: Jason Robards - All the President's Men
- Best Supporting Actress: Beatrice Straight - Network
- Best Foreign Language Film: Noirs et blancs en couleur (Black and White in Color), directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud, Ivory Coast / France / W. Germany / Switzerland
- Musical or comedy:
- Best Picture: A Star Is Born
- Best Actor: Kris Kristofferson - A Star Is Born
- Best Actress: Barbra Streisand - A Star Is Born
Palme d'Or (Cannes Film Festival):
Golden Bear (Berlin Film Festival):
- Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson, directed by Robert Altman, United States
Notable films released in 1976
U.S.A. unless stated #
- 7 Man Army (Ba dao lou zi), directed by Chang Cheh - (Hong Kong)
- 1900, directed by Bernardo Bertolucci, starring Robert De Niro, Gérard Depardieu, Dominique Sanda, Donald Sutherland - (Italy/France)
- A Queda (The Fall) - (Brazil)
- All the President's Men, directed by Alan J. Pakula, starring Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford, Jason Robards, Martin Balsam, Hal Holbrook
- The Anchorite (El anacoreta) - (Spain)
- Any Day Now (Vandaag of morgen) - (Netherlands)
- The Ascent (Voskhozhdeniye) - (U.S.S.R.) - Golden Bear winner
- Assault on Precinct 13, directed by John Carpenter, starring Austin Stoker
- At the Earth's Core, starring Peter Cushing and Doug McClure - (U.K.)
- Baby Blue Marine, starring Jan-Michael Vincent
- The Bad News Bears, directed by Michael Ritchie, starring Walter Matthau, Tatum O'Neal, Vic Morrow, Jackie Earle Haley
- Beach Guard in Winter (Čuvar plaže u zimskom periodu) - (Yugoslavia)
- The Big Bus, starring Joseph Bologna, Stockard Channing, John Beck
- The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings, starring Billy Dee Williams, James Earl Jones, Richard Pryor
- Black and White in Color (La Victoire en chantant), directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud - (France) - Academy Award for Best Foreign Language film
- The Blank Generation, with Patti Smith Group, Television, Ramones and Talking Heads
- Blue Puppy (Goluboy shchenok) - (U.S.S.R.)
- Bobbie Jo and the Outlaw, starring Marjoe Gortner and Lynda Carter
- Bound for Glory, a biopic of Woody Guthrie directed by Hal Ashby, starring David Carradine
- Breaking Point, starring Bo Svenson, Robert Culp, John Colicos
- The Bricklayers (Los albañiles) - (Mexico)
- Brother and Sister (Ani Imouto) - (Japan)
- Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson, directed by Robert Altman, starring Paul Newman, Geraldine Chaplin, Burt Lancaster - Golden Bear winner
- Bugsy Malone, directed by Alan Parker, starring Scott Baio and Jodie Foster - (U.K.)
- Burnt Offerings, starring Karen Black, Oliver Reed, Bette Davis
- Caddie, starring Helen Morse - (Australia)
- Canoa (Canoe) - (Mexico)
- Car Wash, starring Franklin Ajaye and Richard Pryor
- The Career of a Chambermaid (Telefoni bianchi), directed by Dino Risi - (Italy)
- Caro Michele, directed by Mario Monicelli - (Italy)
- Carrie, directed by Brian De Palma, starring Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving
- The Cassandra Crossing, starring Sophia Loren, Richard Harris, Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner, Lee Strasberg, Martin Sheen - (U.K.)
- A Child in the Crowd (Un enfant dans la foule) - (France)
- Chinese Roulette (Chinesisches Roulette), directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder - (West Germany)
- Chitchor (Heart Stealer) - (India)
- Cop (Strømer) - (Denmark)
- Coup de Grâce (Der Fangschuß), directed by Volker Schlöndorff - (West Germany/France)
- A Cricket in the Ear (Shturets v uhoto), directed by Georgi K. Stoyanov, starring Pavel Popandov, Tatyana Lolova, Itzhak Fintzi - (Bulgaria)
- Deadly Hero, starring Don Murray and James Earl Jones
- The Desert of the Tartars (Il deserto dei Tartari), starring Vittorio Gassman - (Italy/France/West Germany)
- The Devil's Playground, directed by Fred Schepisi - (Australia)
- Diary of the Dead, starring Geraldine Fitzgerald and Hector Elizondo
- The Divine Nymph (Divina creatura), starring Marcello Mastroianni and Terence Stamp - (Italy)
- Don's Party, directed by Bruce Beresford, starring Ray Barrett, John Hargreaves and Pat Bishop - (Australia)
- Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands (Dona Flor e Seus Dois Maridos), starring Sônia Braga - (Brazil)
- Les douze travaux d'Asterix (The Twelve Trials of Asterix) - (France)
- The Eagle Has Landed, starring Michael Caine and Donald Sutherland - (U.K./U.S.A.)
- Embryo, directed by Ralph Nelson, starring Rock Hudson and Barbara Carrera
- The Enforcer, starring Clint Eastwood, Harry Guardino, Tyne Daly
- Escape from the Dark, starring Alastair Sim - (U.K.)
- F comme Fairbanks (F Like Fairbanks), starring Patrick Dewaere and Miou-Miou - (France)
- Face to Face (Ansikte mot ansikte), directed by Ingmar Bergman, starring Liv Ullmann and Erland Josephson - (Sweden)
- Family Plot, directed by Alfred Hitchcock (his final film), starring Barbara Harris, Bruce Dern, Karen Black, William Devane
- Farsighted for Two Diopters (Dva Dioptara Dalekogledstvo), directed by Petar B. Vasilev, starring Georgi Partsalev - (Bulgaria)
- Fellini's Casanova, directed by Federico Fellini, starring Donald Sutherland - (Italy)
- The Fifth Seal (Az ötödik pecsét), directed by Zoltán Fábri - (Hungary)
- The First Nudie Musical, directed by Bruce Kimmel, starring Cindy Williams, Stephen Nathan, Diana Canova
- The Food of the Gods, starring Marjoe Gortner, Pamela Franklin, Ralph Meeker, Ida Lupino
- Freaky Friday, directed by Gary Nelson, starring Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster
- From Noon till Three, starring Charles Bronson and Jill Ireland
- The Front, directed by Martin Ritt, starring Woody Allen, Zero Mostel, Andrea Marcovicci, Herschel Bernardi, Michael Murphy
- Fumō Chitai (Wasted Land) - (Japan)
- Futureworld, starring Peter Fonda and Blythe Danner
- Gable and Lombard, starring James Brolin and Jill Clayburgh
- Giv'at Halfon Eina Ona (Halfon Hill Doesn't Answer) - (Israel)
- God Told Me To, starring Tony Lo Bianco, Deborah Raffin, Sandy Dennis
- Griffin and Phoenix, starring Peter Falk and Jill Clayburgh
- Grizzly, starring Christopher George
- The Gumball Rally, starring Michael Sarrazin
- Gus, starring Don Knotts and Ed Asner
- Harlan County USA - a documentary film
- Harry and Walter Go to New York, starring James Caan, Elliott Gould, Diane Keaton, Michael Caine
- Heart of Glass (Herz aus Glas), directed by Werner Herzog - (West Germany)
- The House with Laughing Windows (La casa dalle finestre che ridono) - (Italy)
- Illustrious Corpses (Cadaveri eccellenti), directed by Francesco Rosi, starring Lino Ventura - (Italy)
- The Inheritance (L'eredità Ferramonti), starring Anthony Quinn and Dominique Sanda - (Italy)
- In the Realm of the Senses (Ai no Korīda), directed by Nagisa Oshima - (Japan)
- L'innocente, directed by Luchino Visconti - (Italy)
- The Inugamis (Inugami-ke no ichizoku), directed by Kon Ichikawa - (Japan)
- I Will, I Will... for Now, directed by Norman Panama, starring Elliott Gould, Diane Keaton, Victoria Principal
- J.D.'s Revenge, starring Glynn Turman and Louis Gossett, Jr.
- Je t'aime moi non plus (I Love You...Me Neither), directed by Serge Gainsbourg, starring Jane Birkin and Joe Dallesandro - (France)
- Jonah Who Will Be 25 in the Year 2000 (Jonas qui aura 25 ans en l'an 2000) - (Switzerland/France)
- The Judge and the Assassin (Le Juge et l'assassin), directed by Bertrand Tavernier, starring Philippe Noiret and Isabelle Huppert - (France)
- Kabhie Kabhie (Sometimes), starring Shashi Kapoor - (India)
- Kalicharan - (India)
- The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, directed by John Cassavetes, starring Ben Gazzara, Timothy Carey and Seymour Cassel
- King Kong, directed by John Guillermin, starring Jessica Lange, Jeff Bridges and Charles Grodin
- King Kung Fu, directed by and starring Lance D. Hayes
- Kings of the Road (Im Lauf der Zeit), directed by Wim Wenders - (West Germany)
- The Last Hard Men, a western starring Charlton Heston and James Coburn
- The Last Supper (La Última Cena) - (Cuba)
- The Last Tycoon, directed by Elia Kazan, starring Robert De Niro, Tony Curtis, Robert Mitchum, Jeanne Moreau, Jack Nicholson
- Leadbelly, a biopic directed by Gordon Parks
- Lipstick, starring Margaux Hemingway, Mariel Hemingway, Chris Sarandon
- The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane, starring Jodie Foster and Martin Sheen
- Logan's Run, directed by Michael Anderson, starring Michael York, Richard Jordan, Jenny Agutter
- Mako: The Jaws of Death, directed by William Grefe, starring Richard Jaeckel
- The Man on the Roof (Mannen på taket), directed by Bo Widerberg - (Sweden)
- The Man Who Fell to Earth, directed by Nicolas Roeg, starring David Bowie, Rip Torn, Candy Clark - (U.K.)
- Marecek, Pass Me the Pen! (Marečku, podejte mi pero!) - (Czechoslovakia)
- Marathon Man, directed by John Schlesinger, starring Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier, Roy Scheider, Marthe Keller, William Devane
- The Marquise of O, directed by Éric Rohmer - (West Germany/France)
- Master of the Flying Guillotine (a.k.a. One-Armed Boxer 2), starring Jimmy Wang - (Taiwan/Hong Kong)
- A Matter of Time, directed by Vincente Minnelli, starring Ingrid Bergman, Liza Minnelli, Charles Boyer, Isabella Rossellini - (U.S.A./Italy)
- Max Havelaar, directed by Fons Rademakers - (Netherlands)
- The Memory of Justice, a documentary film by Marcel Ophüls - (France/West Germany/U.K./U.S.A.)
- Midway, starring Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda, Toshiro Mifune, Glenn Ford, Robert Mitchum, Hal Holbrook
- Mikey and Nicky, directed by Elaine May, starring John Cassavetes and Peter Falk
- The Missouri Breaks, directed by Arthur Penn, starring Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholson
- Mohammad: Messenger of God, directed by Moustapha Akkad, starring Anthony Quinn - (Morocco/Libya)
- Mother, Jugs & Speed, directed by Peter Yates, starring Bill Cosby, Raquel Welch, Harvey Keitel
- Mr. Klein, directed by Joseph Losey, starring Alain Delon and Jeanne Moreau - (France)
- Murder by Death, starring Peter Sellers, David Niven, Maggie Smith, Alec Guinness, Peter Falk, Eileen Brennan, Truman Capote
- The Mysterious Monsters, starring Peter Graves and Peter Hurkos
- Network, directed by Sidney Lumet, starring Peter Finch, William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Robert Duvall
- Next Stop, Greenwich Village, starring Shelley Winters, Lenny Baker, Ellen Greene
- Nickelodeon, directed by Peter Bogdanovich, starring Ryan O'Neal, Burt Reynolds, Tatum O'Neal, John Ritter, Stella Stevens
- No Deposit, No Return, starring David Niven, Darren McGavin, Don Knotts, Barbara Feldon, Kim Richards
- Obsession, directed by Brian De Palma, starring Cliff Robertson, Geneviève Bujold, John Lithgow
- Ode to Billy Joe, directed by Max Baer, Jr., starring Robby Benson, Glynnis O'Connor, James Best
- The Omen, directed by Richard Donner, starring Gregory Peck, Lee Remick, David Warner, Billie Whitelaw, Leo McKern - (U.K./U.S.A.)
- One Summer Love, aka Dragonfly, directed by Gilbert Cates, starring Susan Sarandon and Beau Bridges
- The Outlaw Josey Wales, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood with Chief Dan George, Sam Bottoms, Sondra Locke, John Vernon
- Oz or 20th Century Oz, a Rock 'N' Roll Road Movie, starring Bruce Spence, Joy Dunstan - (Australia)
- The Pink Panther Strikes Again, starring Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom, Lesley-Anne Down - (U.K.)
- Raise Ravens (Cria Cuervos), directed by Carlos Saura, starring Geraldine Chaplin - (Spain)
- The Rat Savior (Izbavitelj) - (Yugoslavia)
- Rich Man, Poor Man, television mini-series, starring Nick Nolte and Peter Strauss
- The Ritz, directed by Richard Lester, starring Rita Moreno, Jerry Stiller, Jack Weston
- Robin and Marian, directed by Richard Lester, starring Sean Connery, Audrey Hepburn, Robert Shaw - (U.K./U.S.A.)
- Rocky, directed by John G. Avildsen, starring Sylvester Stallone, Burgess Meredith, Carl Weathers, Talia Shire, Burt Young
- Rogue Male, starring Peter O'Toole - (U.K.)
- The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea, starring Kris Kristofferson and Sarah Miles
- Salon Kitty, directed by Tinto Brass, starring Helmut Berger and Ingrid Thulin - (Italy/West Germany/France)
- The Scar (film), directed by Krzysztof Kieślowski
- Sebastiane, directed by Derek Jarman - (U.K.)
- Seclusion Near a Forest (Na samotě u lesa), directed by Jiří Menzel - (Czechoslovakia)
- Seven Beauties (Pasqualino Settebellezze), starring Fernando Rey - (Italy)
- The Seven-Per-Cent Solution, directed by Herbert Ross, starring Nicol Williamson, Robert Duvall, Alan Arkin, Laurence Olivier - (U.K./U.S.A.)
- Shadow of Angels (Schatten der Engel), starring Ingrid Caven and Rainer Werner Fassbinder - (Switzerland)
- The Shaggy D.A., starring Dean Jones and Suzanne Pleshette
- The Shootist, directed by Don Siegel, starring John Wayne (his final film), Lauren Bacall, Ron Howard, James Stewart
- Shout at the Devil, starring Lee Marvin, Roger Moore - (U.K.)
- Silent Movie, directed by and starring Mel Brooks, with Marty Feldman, Dom DeLuise, Bernadette Peters
- Silver Streak, directed by Arthur Hiller, starring Gene Wilder, Richard Pryor, Jill Clayburgh, Ned Beatty, Patrick McGoohan
- Sister Street Fighter - Fifth Level Fist (Onna hissatsu godan ken) - (Japan)
- Sky Riders, starring James Coburn, Susannah York, Robert Culp
- The Slipper and the Rose, directed by Bryan Forbes, starring Gemma Craven and Richard Chamberlain - (U.K.)
- Small Change (L'Argent de poche), directed by François Truffaut - (France)
- The Smurfs and the Magic Flute (La Flûte à six schtroumpfs) - (Belgium)
- Snuff - (Argentina/U.S.A.)
- The Song Remains the Same, featuring Led Zeppelin - (U.K./U.S.A.)
- Soy un delincuente (I Am a Criminal) - (Venezuela)
- Sparkle, starring Irene Cara
- A Star Is Born, starring Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson
- Stay Hungry, directed by Bob Rafelson, starring Jeff Bridges, Sally Field, Arnold Schwarzenegger
- St. Ives, directed by J. Lee Thompson, starring Charles Bronson
- Storm Boy, starring David Gulpilil - (Australia)
- Swashbuckler, starring Robert Shaw
- The Swiss Conspiracy, starring David Janssen and Elke Sommer
- Sybil, starring Joanne Woodward and Sally Field
- Taxi Driver, directed by Martin Scorsese, starring Robert De Niro, Cybill Shepherd, Harvey Keitel, Albert Brooks, Jodie Foster
- The Tenant (Le Locataire), directed by and starring Roman Polanski, with Isabelle Adjani and Melvyn Douglas - (France)
- That's Entertainment, Part 2, documentary featuring Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly
- Tatlong taong walang Diyos (Three Godless Years) - (Philippines)
- To Fly!, a documentary film
- To the Devil a Daughter, starring Richard Widmark, Christopher Lee, Honor Blackman, Nastassja Kinski - (U.K.)
- Todo modo, starring Gian Maria Volonté and Marcello Mastroianni - (Italy)
- Tosun Pasa - (Turkey)
- The Town That Dreaded Sundown, starring Ben Johnson and Dawn Wells
- Trackdown, starring James Mitchum
- Tracks, directed by Henry Jaglom, starring Dennis Hopper
- Treasure of Matecumbe, starring Joan Hackett, Robert Foxworth, Peter Ustinov
- The Twist, directed by Claude Chabrol, starring Bruce Dern, Stephane Audran, Charles Aznavour, Ann-Margret - (France)
- Two-Minute Warning, starring Charlton Heston, John Cassavetes, David Janssen, Jack Klugman, Gena Rowlands, Beau Bridges
- Ugly, Dirty and Bad (Brutti, sporchi e cattivi), directed by Ettore Scola, starring Nino Manfredi - (Italy)
- Up!, directed by Russ Meyer, featuring Raven de la Croix
- Vigilante Force, starring Kris Kristofferson and Victoria Principal
- Voyage of the Damned, starring Faye Dunaway, Lee Grant, James Mason, Katharine Ross, Max von Sydow, Orson Welles, Oskar Werner - (U.K.)
- W.C. Fields and Me, starring Rod Steiger, Valerie Perrine, Jack Cassidy
- Wan Pipel (One People) - (Suriname/Netherlands)
- Welcome to L.A., directed by Alan Rudolph, starring Keith Carradine, Geraldine Chaplin, Sally Kellerman, Harvey Keitel
- The White Ship (Belyy parokhod) - (U.S.S.R.)
- Who Can Kill a Child? (¿Quién puede matar a un niño?) - (Spain)
- Won Ton Ton, the Dog Who Saved Hollywood, starring Madeline Kahn, Teri Garr, Bruce Dern, Art Carney
- January 6 - Danny Pintauro, actor
- February 11 - Brice Beckham, actor.
- February 11 - Kelly Macdonald, actress.
- February 23 - Aaron Aziz, Singaporean actor
- February 25 - Rashida Jones, actress.
- March 16 - Paul Schneider, actor.
- March 22 - Reese Witherspoon, actress.
- March 23 - Michelle Monaghan, actress.
- April 13 - Jonathan Brandis, actor. (d.2003)
- April 15 - Susan Ward, actress.
- April 23 - Gabriel Damon, actor.
- April 27 - Sally Hawkins, actor.
- May 25 - Cillian Murphy, Irish actor
- Ethan Suplee, American film and television actor
- July 15 - Diane Kruger, German actress.
- July 19 - Benedict Cumberbatch, English actor.
- August 9 - Audrey Tautou, French actress.
- September 7 - Shannon Elizabeth, actress.
- October 4 - Alicia Silverstone, actress.
- October 23 - Ryan Reynolds, actor
- October 31 - Piper Perabo, actress.
- rock Horror Picture Show film booking in Feb 2011
- "Rocky, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "To Fly!, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "A Star Is Born, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "All the President's Men, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "The Omen, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "In Search of Noah's Ark, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "King Kong, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Silver Streak, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "The Enforcer, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Midway, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "The Bad News Bears, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Silent Movie, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "The Pink Panther Strikes Again, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Carrie, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Murder by Death, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "The Outlaw Josey Wales, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Taxi Driver, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Marathon Man, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Freaky Friday, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Logan's Run, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Network, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Across the Great Divide, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Retrieved April 4, 2013.